Colorado Aggies.Com
Dedicated to the Preservation of Athletic History at Colorado State University
Football Stadiums of the Aggies & Rams
Unnamed Football Grounds - 1893-1894

In June of 2009, a series of photos from 1893 were
discovered that answered the question of where the
CAC football team played their games before 1899. In
the photo at left, it is clear that the team played on the
east side of College Avenue just south of Old Main
(which is visible in the photo). This is currently the site
of a Shraders Country store between Locust and Plum.
It was reported in later newspapers that the team
played further south of this location, but these
116-year-old photos prove where football was first
played in the city of Fort Collins. It was not part of the
campus in 1893.
Durkee Field
1899-1911
The first official athletic field was constructed in the spring of 1899 when the college athletic association reorganized and president
Gym and Field house) was cleared of trees and drained of water. The ground was then graded to make a flat playing surface. With the
railroad tracks on the west and South College Avenue on the east.

This low lying ground was actually a natural stream bed which is marked today by a tunnel under the railroad tracks. This stream
becomes active when torrents of rain wash through the campus as was evident in the devastating flood of 1997 when the South
College Gym received its worst damage.

The newly reformed football team of 1899 played the first games here on a playing surface made up of primarily dirt and rocks. In
1901 a graduate from the class of 1900 named Charles Durkee donated money for a tall wooden fence to be erected on three sides
of the field with the railroad tracks acting as a barrier for the fourth side.

The 1934 Collegian article notes that it helped keep the non-paying people out better than the military cadets.In return for his fence the
college named the athletic grounds "Durkee Field". Bleachers were later added for spectators to watch the games and military
drills.This field was described by former players and Harry Hughes as horrible to walk through let alone play football. The previously
mentioned stream would reappear during wet weather and ran through the playing field during some games.

Harry Hughes' first football season of 1911 was the last season football was ever played at Durkee Field. When the rules of football
changed to a 100 yard field, Hughes used that opportunity to build a better field for his athletes. After the athletic field was removed in
1912, tennis courts were placed on the site of Durkee Field and in 1925 ground was broken for the new Men's Gymnasium. In the fall
of 1926, the South College Gym and Field house opened on the former site of Durkee Field where it stands today.
Colorado Field
1912-1967
In 1910 the site of the college experiment station that grew potatoes was identified as the location where the future athletic field
should be built. After two years of lobbying and with the support of college president Charles Lory, it was approved in 1912. On
May 23, 1912 construction began on the ground located on the very southern edge of the campus at the time. Students and faculty,
Play began in the fall of 1912 with 1,000 seat grandstands being added by the beginning of football season. A cinder track around
the field was later added in 1914 since Harry Hughes was as much a track coach as he was a football coach. In September of 1912
the school built a Club House just east of the railroad tracks on what is now University Avenue on today's campus. This acted as
locker rooms and showers for both the Aggie players and visiting players.

With a state of the art football stadium the Aggies went on to win eight conference championships over the next 25 years. The ninth
and last conference championship team to play on Colorado Field was in 1955. Colorado Field served Aggie Football and Aggie
athletics very well. Just south of  Colorado Field a baseball field was constructed and it is the former location of the baseball field
and South half of Colorado Field where Jack Christiansen Track stands today.

In 1961 Colorado State University did a study to either rebuild Colorado Field into a major Football stadium or to replace it with a
new stadium on the foothills campus. Because of Colorado Field's location in Ft. Collins it was decided to build a new stadium away
from traffic. The last varsity game was played on Colorado Field in 1967 and although Junior Varsity football was played there for a
short time, it was torn down due to its age in the summers of 1972 and 1973.
Sonny Lubick Field @ Hughes Stadium
1968-Present
Built at the base of the hog back mountain with the Aggie "A", Hughes Stadium has served Colorado State University for over
40 years. The state approved construction in 1966 and the stadium, named after legendary coach Harry Hughes, was opened in
September of 1968. Built to seat 30,000 fans, the stadium was known as the "Showcase of the Rockies" for many years.

After CSU football had great success in the 1990s, the stadium was expanded and the field renamed in honor of all-time great
coach Sonny Lubick. The current capacity is listed as 32,400, but the stadium can still be expanded to seat over 50,000 if
necessary

- In 1893, football
was played on the east
side of College
Avenue partly because
it was off the campus.
College president
Alston Ellis did not
approve of athletics
and did not want an
athletic field on his
campus.

- The 1893 field went
from the east to the
west rather than
today's standard north
and south football
fields.

- The first official
football field on the
campus, later named
Durkee Field, also
went from east to
west in its early days.
(Note picture at right)

- The original wooden
grandstands of
Durkee Field were
burned in 1908 after
the college built new
stands.

- The wooden fence
of Durkee Field was
later used to buid the
new athletic club
house at Colorado
Field.

- The Durkee Field
locker room/club
house still stands on
the CSU campus. It is
a small red brick
building located on the
west side of the
railroad tracks next to
Old Main Drive.

- When Durkee Field
was removed after the
construction of
Colorado Field in
1912, the college
turned the area into
athletic fields and
tennis courts for
women's athletics.

- When the decision to
build the South
College Gym was
approved in 1925,
Harry Hughes wanted
to reserve the former
site of Durkee Field
for a new football
stadium to be built
there at a later date.
The State Board of
Agriculture voted
Hughes' idea down.

- With the exception
of the 1,000-seat steel
grandstands, Colorado
Field was built entirely
by students and
faculty, including the
club house.

- From 1912 to the
mid-1920s,
automobiles parked on
the east side of the
field and fans watched
games from inside
their cars.

- In 1921, a
5,000-seat grandstand
was built on the west
side of the field. It
was made of steel a
frame with wooden
floor planks and
wooden bleachers.
This is why the
stadium later received
the nickname "The
Old Lumber Yard".

- In 1934, a strong
spring wind blew
down the original
press box. It was not
replaced until the fall
of 1935.

- The Colorado Aggies
won nine conference
championships at
Colorado Field: 1915,
1916, 1919, 1920,
1925, 1927, 1933,
1934 and 1955.

- The 1966 Wyoming
game is believed to
have been the largest
recorded attendance at
Colorado Field. With
14,900 recorded by
the CSU athletic
department, stories
say fans poured onto
College Avenue to
watch one of the
greatest games in CSU
history.

- Hughes Stadium is
an exact copy of the
Sun Bowl in El Paso,
Texas. CSU used
almost the exact blue
prints from the
University of Texas,
El Paso.